Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 203 How do we keep real food from being a class divider?

I've been feeling a lot of gratitude for my circumstances lately. I live in Portland where organic fruits and vegetables are readily available. I've got a Whole Foods within walking distance and two stores from our local version, New Seasons, are less than 1 mile away. I've got a farmers market down the street from May to October. I've got friends and neighbors growing things and giving them away. A close friend and I belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture/coop farm).

And I have money to buy it all with. Healthy, locally sourced beef and chicken, expensive wild-caught salmon once in a while, frozen organic fruit in the winter, all the vegetables I want in the winter (though I avoid things flown in from South and Central America or Israel). I can afford to eat very well.

I know I am an exception. And while I'm not in the 1% of the wealthy in our country, I may be in the 5% or 10% who can afford to eat this way. Fast food isn't the food of choice just because it's fast and greasy. It's also cheap and perhaps the only way many people can get a hot meal. I'd love to see that change, to see real food become a unifying factor in our culture, rather than a divider.

No comments: