Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 211 What I've been eating and cooking

I was at Wordstock, Portland's book festival, over the weekend, selling my books (see jillkellyauthor.com) and was glad to already be well settled in my food plan so I didn't have to be flummoxed about what to eat or take.

I ate a double breakfast each morning (12 oz of green juice smoothie at 7, an hour at the gym, and then second breakfast at 9:15.(steel cut oats, walnuts, pear, coconut milk one day and 3 scrambled eggs and 2 GF waffles with maple agave the second).

Saturday I took 7 cups of green salad with black beans with me (dressing in a small container), a Larabar, some almonds, and more smoothie. Sunday I took 7 cups of cole slaw and quinoa/almond/apple salad mixed with a Bobo's bar. I've got these great glass Pyrex bowls with plastic lids that make taking food along easy.

I was really tired each night so I made things simple: a can of Amy's black bean chili with a cup of steamed chard (already done) added the first night, the second night leftover potato/corn/white bean chowder with a half cup of turkey sausage and broccoli added. Both meals were hearty, quick, and delicious.

Yesterday was cooking day (Monday often is) and I made an Indian stew in the crockpot with onions, potatoes, fennel, a slightly hot red pepper, and zucchini with a jar of Tjoe's Red Curry Sauce, a cup of broth, and a cup of coconut milk. I added a cup of brown rice the last hour. I also made juice in the afternoon (parsley, collard greens, romaine, apple, carrots, cucumber).

Tonight, I'm doing my veggie bake for the week: onions, yukon gold potatoes, a yam, and big chunks of cabbage, baked in a sauce of 3 remaining tablespoons of an olive oil dressing with herbes de Provence, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 cup vegetable broth, and 6 oz of roasted, glazed figs (no idea where that jar came from). I put all the sauce ingredients in my blender and poured it over the veggies and baked it for 35 minutes at 375. Heavenly!

No comments: