Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 214 Contempt prior to investigation

I've always loved this phrase from the AA program, about how we disdain or reject things before we give them a chance. "That will never work for me." "I could never do that." "Yuck!"

I had two close encounters of this kind yesterday. One was with a younger friend, who was talking about her struggles with weight and diets and I suggested she watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. "Oh, I already know all that," she said. She assumed it was the same old story about eat less and move more and of course it's not, but she didn't want to learn that. She was already cynical and resigned. Made me sad.

The second encounter was with an older friend, who remarked about how much weight I've lost and I was telling her that green juice smoothies were at the heart of my efforts. She wrinkled up her nose and when I asked if she'd ever had green juice, she said "No. Sounds awful."

I don't try to convert anybody. But I'm always curious when people talk about wanting something different (different results) but are unwilling to entertain a different way. I've been there many times myself.

No comments: