Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 231 Changing my exercise self-talk

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I've been a regular exerciser for more than 30 years. For the last 6 or 7, my neighbor and friend Melanie and I have been gym buddies, going to the gym together in the morning on a Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun schedule (which fits her work mornings). Until a couple of months ago, on the non-gym days or if Melanie couldn't go, I'd ask myself if I was going to exercise. Some days I'd say yes, some days no. If I didn't feel like it, if I had a lot of paid work and deadlines, if the weather was icky, if I was tired. You know, all those excuses we make.

Then when I started the food plan, my coach asked about my exercise program and I made it sound pretty substantial. I mean 3-4 days at the gym is a good routine and I was doing both cardio and weights. What I didn't want to own was the fact that I'd been doing the same routine for a long time and while I was sort of fit, I wasn't really as fit as I could be.

So I started walking in the spring and adding 20 minutes here and there to my days at the gym. I didn't push it, either for frequency or intensity, but more often when I asked myself if I was going to get some exercise, I'd say yes. And I've kept that up.

But now that I'm committed to a month of 60 minutes a day (or 420 minutes a week), my self-talk has to change. It's not "if" anymore. It's "when" and "what."

No comments: