Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 233 Ten days of 60 minutes a day

This is the 10th day of my month of doing more exercise. I'm doing 420 minutes a week, roughly 60 minutes a day. My coach Elisabeth had recommended upping my exercise at the beginning of our work together but I was most reluctant. I was already going to the gym four times a week (about 180 minutes a week) and I didn't know where I'd find the time.

The truth was I didn't know where I'd find the energy. I was at the top of my weight, not the top of my game. And making big changes in my food seemed more than enough change. Then when the summer came and I'd lost about 20 pounds, I revisited the idea and started walking most days. Just a mile. 20 blocks in my neighborhood, 15-20 minutes of my time. So I added about 60 minutes of walking but one of the gym days fell through (by my choice) and so I was really working out about 210 minutes a week, or a half-hour a day.

Don't get me wrong. I was giving myself a lot of credit. The average amount of exercise by American adults is pretty close to zip and I was doing something most days of the week and for a reasonable amount of time. But in a way, I knew I was doing kind of the least I could get away with. So I decided to take on this challenge. See if I could exercise 60 minutes a day, move my body in some way

I've been taking advantage of the beautiful weather to walk most days and do some weights and stretches. I doubt the weather will hold all month and I've got to find some alternatives. Of course, I could go to the gym every day for an hour. That wouldn't be bad. But for now, I'm just seeing what I can do.

Today I walked 25 minutes this morning and then this afternoon, I got my food plan buddy Lily to walk another 40 minutes with me. We had a date to sit and chat and we did that, but we walked and talked first. It was great. Last week I did 430 minutes, so far this week, 185 minutes with four days to go. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: