Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day 264 Making green juice not so, well, green

For more than 9 months I've been drinking green juice and green smoothies in the morning. It's one of the things I like best about the plan, a great way to start the day with 6-7 fruits and vegetables. The flavor varies depending on the fruits and the greens I use. I'm particularly fond of flat leaf parsley, romaine, and celery as dominant flavors. This morning I added some of juice from the chard I cooked yesterday for the Thanksgiving potluck and earlier in the week, I added the leftover water from a jar of naturally fermented ginger carrots. It gave the smoothie a lovely zip.

But I appreciate it when people say "yuck" to green juice without even trying it. We're used to red juices: orange juice, tomato juice, wine, rosy fruits. Of course, if we're smart, we're eating a lot of green food (vegetables in many shapes and shades of green), but juice isn't usually green. So for those folks you're trying to seduce into trying green smoothies, here's a way to ease them in.

Add a handful of blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries to the smoothie. Unsweetened, frozen, these add great fiber and nutrients and color. You can also add fresh tomato juice and cooked or raw beets. I find the raw beets too earthy for my taste, but cooked beets are sweet and very red. You might just convert that kid or spouse to the smoothie system.




No comments: