Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 281 My birthday

I turn 67 today. Yesterday I was at a noon meeting and I realized yet again that I would never have become 67 or 60 or even 50 if I hadn't found a way to get and stay sober. I was killing myself with alcohol, bit by bit, day by day, and so depressed and ashamed that I couldn't have kept it up much longer. This was the late 1980s and information about addiction and treatment and AA wasn't readily available. I had no knowledge of any of it when I finally surrendered to my doctor and told her how much I was drinking.

Nearly two and a half decades since then of an amazing life: sobriety, renewed relationships with my family, deeper relationships with friends, writing, books published, painting, a studio, cats, a great home, circles of wonderful women. I am so grateful.