Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day 309 Boundaries and my calendar

My intention for 2014 of Loving Boundaries and Welcoming Doorways is already playing out in my life. I've had a couple of difficult conversations with folks where I needed to set boundaries for me. When I mentioned to my spiritual director how difficult it was to have these conversations, she reminded me that it's okay to love myself first, to take care of myself and let other people take care of themselves. This is the real boundary work, she should, loving ourselves deeply and then loving others.   

We also talked about time. It seems every time I come back from retreat, I want to reorient my schedule so that there are bigger blocks of time for what I want to do and need to do. I want to simplify the number of things that show up for me. And yet I continue to say yes to a lot, dream up new things to do, want to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way, and I end up with the same fragmented schedule of an appt here, a couple of hours off, an appt there, another hour off, rather than large blocks of time to sink into something. This works against my desire to prioritize my writing and studio time this year. I work for myself and can set my own schedule, so why don't I?

Boundaries again. Wanting to accommodate others: my clients, my friends, my students, my family, my healthcare providers. So Anna reminded me about personal and professional policies. What are mine around time? Something to sit with. 

No comments: