Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day 327 The Why Me? list

Karen Casey, author of Each Day a New Beginning, and I are leading a writing workshop for 16 women here in Naples, FL. We had a great day today, asking the writers to write stories from their past, write letters of anger and reconciliation to people with whom they have problematic relationships, and write terrible poems just for fun. As a prelude to the terrible poem (which were wonderful, by the way), I asked them all to write a long list of complaints, to complain about anything bothers them.

A few people had trouble as they have worked so hard to not complain but I asked them to just play along. And then we read our lists aloud and each complaint was followed by the question: Why me?

Here are some of mine:

  • I have to clean the litterbox. Why me?
  • My hip hurts. Why me?
  • It's too humid here. Why me?
  • People drive too close behind me. Why me?
  • I'm fat. Why me?
  • Sammy occasionally pees on the bath mat. Why me?

You get the idea. By the time four or five women had read their Why Me? lists, we were chuckling. A few more and we were roaring with laughter. We saw that we have the same complaints, the same issues, and in sharing them out loud, the same relief. It turned into a lot of fun.

No comments: