Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Day 330 Restraint of pen and tongue--and fork

The day before I left Florida, I got on the scale in Karen and Joe's bathroom so I could weigh myself and then me with a box of books to see how much weight there was for mailing the books. Although I was fully clothed and it was late in the day, two things I don't do when I weigh myself, I certainly noticed that I've put about 7 pounds back on since Thanksgiving, thanks to my pal Sweets. In addition to some brief but profound binges and some just general eating too much, I'm creeping back up in size, something I really don't want to do.

So I've been thinking about moderation and the AA phrase of "restraint of pen and tongue" (advice to think well before speaking or writing) has come to mind. Some of us are compulsive and/or impulsive; many of us are impetuous. We speak and act quickly, often without a lot of consideration. And that kind of behavior impacts both my food choices and my speed of consumption.

So I'm committing to restraint not only of pen and tongue, but of fork and spoon as well. I think this will really serve me.  

No comments: