Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day 342 Do you know where your sugar is?

Now that I'm withdrawing from candy again (specifically the new all-caramel Milky Way that cuts out the awful nougat layer), I've been thinking about where sugar is in my diet. I consume a fair amount of fructose: a banana, a cup of blueberries, a cup of other berries, sometimes a little mango or pineapple, these go in my morning juice. And the juice itself has some apple and carrot in it so there's sugar there too. I don't tend to eat much more fruit during the day although occasionally I'll eat an apple and in this season an orange or a satsuma.

I eat a lot of vegetables for lunch and dinner (usually a green salad with many kinds of raw vegetables for one meal and a big serving of steamed or baked vegetables for the other. There is probably fructose in some of those but I don't worry about it. I don't sugar my tea, I don't drink fruit juice anymore, and i gave up sodas years ago. I do usually eat an energy bar (5-14 grams of fruit sugar from dates each), and I put sweetened coconut milk on my oatmeal (1/4 cup has 2 grams of sugar) and sometimes I'll put some agave syrup on the oatmeal too.

So when I'm good, I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad... Yikes!

No comments: