Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 355 My apologies to Simon and Garfunkel

Hello, caramel, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again...

Had a disagreeable interaction yesterday and had to make a hard decision whether to stick it out in a new coaching relationship that isn't what I expected and hope for the best, or speak up and ask to have a different coach. When I got off the phone, I was really upset and I hadn't had any place (or taken any place) to express that upset during the call. I paced around my apartment and said a lot of things out loud and then put on my coat and went to Plaid Pantry for comfort.

I knew, sort of, more or less, what I was doing. I had serious emotional upset, I couldn't think of options to feel better (not calm enough to do so, I suspect), and my old friend would help. Perhaps I'm lucky that it's caramel and not heroin. (Not an excuse though).

I ate two candy bars and left the others I bought alone. A small victory. I see it now. I see that I could have called someone, including someone in my program. I could have written about it or painted something or gone for a walk. But I didn't. Maybe next time.

No comments: