Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One year of food changes and food blogs

It's been a year since I started on my better eating journey. A year and a month ago, I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and Forks over Knives. I bought a juicer. I got connected with my health coach and began the transition off of potential allergens and onto an eating plan of more whole foods.

On March 11, 2013 I started blogging about my experiences and made a commitment to blog every day for a year about it. I completed 365 blogs yesterday and with about 6 exceptions, I put out a blog every day. I love that I did that.

Here's where I am today:

  • I'm down 27 pounds from where I was a year ago, up 8 pounds from the lowest point (last July). 
  • I'm still off wheat and dairy with only very occasional exceptions (a little goat cheese from time to time, a wheat hamburger bun twice in the year). 
  • I do green juice smoothie every day.
  • I eat a big salad 3-4 times a week for a meal (I'll be increasing that now as the fresh vegetables come into season). Before I ate salads only under duress.
  • I've learned to enjoy cooking again after not cooking at all for 23 years. 
  • I cook a big pot of vegetable soup every week and it's a staple of my diet. 
  • I eat much less animal protein: smaller portions and many meals are vegetarian or vegan. 
  • I've maintained my gym activity and added walking most other days for at least a mile. 
  • I've given up diet sodas.
  • I still am seduced by sugar more often than I would like. Progress, not perfection.
I am going to continue to blog but with a wider variety of topics, including documenting my journey in the new make peace with money intensive program I joined on February 6. I hope you'll stay with me and share my blog with others as you feel so moved. Thanks for being such faithful readers and cheering me on.

And if you'd like to join my email list for occasional newsletters on art and writing, click this link:
http://eepurl.com/P0eT1

  

1 comment:

Lura Frazey said...

Congratulations on this milestone and all your progress, Jill.