Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Listening for brilliance and authenticity

One of the commitments we make in the money program is to listen for each other's brilliance and authenticity. Sounds great. Loving and generous. But I've struggled with this until I realized I was stuck in my black-and-white, all-or-nothing thinking. The commitment doesn't ask me to interpret everything someone says as brilliant or authentic. That would assume a level of perfection that none of us reach. But I can listen for those times when people are brilliant and authentic.

I can stay open to the possibility that something any individual says can be just what I need to hear, can spark an idea in me, can suggest a solution. Or some way that individual or another individual has of being in the world can model something great for me. Maybe I experience their vulnerability, their generosity, their kindness and see how that can speak to me.

This is also one of those many things that I can make hard to practice or easy to shift into. My choice.

No comments: