Sunday, April 6, 2014

The 11th Step

I went to one of my regular meetings yesterday. The reading was from the 11th Step and it was a birthday celebration for a woman who has been sober 25 years. And as I listened to her share her experience with the 11th Step (Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power), I was thankful again for the original creation of AA's program as a set of suggestions rather than rules.

As an anxious addict, sitting still for long periods isn't easy for me. So I practice walking meditation in my neighborhood and writing meditation with daily journaling where I empty my mind onto paper, and petting meditation with Nellie and Frannie and Mr. Sam and Evie. I calm them, they calm me.

And prayer too is my own version. I see painting as prayer, poetry writing as prayer, conversations with loved ones as prayer, time spent on the beach or in the woods as prayer, and being in AA meetings too.

So wise those original writers of AA!

No comments: