Thursday, May 22, 2014

Engaging work

I was talking with a good friend last night about relationships, work, and food (what most women talk about) and I was mentioning how I never think about food while I am playing in the studio. Sometimes I'll take tea with me or a snack and I never drink it or eat it. It just doesn't occur to me. I don't get hungry, no matter how long it's been since a meal or a snack.

Maybe this is really the definition of "engaging work" for me. I am so caught up, so curious, so satisfied, that everything quiets down inside me so I can focus. And this happens whether I'm having a successful (love that painting) day or a challenging (arghhhh) day in the studio. Maybe it's because I'm relaxed there, maybe it's because I'm involved. But I love it.

And I want that to be happening more and more in my day. And it's something that feels okay to be greedy about.

No comments: