Friday, June 27, 2014

An unintentional stamina experiment

Move it or lose it. We all know this is true although sometimes we don't want to think about it. Three weeks ago, I came down with a cold. I've had worse and been a lot sicker but this one has been particularly persistent with nagging cough and sinus stuff. I've had pretty low energy. Add to that a 24-hour trip to Sacramento with 8 hours of it teaching and then two days later having a wisdom tooth pulled and all the attendant drugs and I've been resting, taking good care of myself, and sluggish. In three weeks, I'd been to the gym twice and walked a slow mile in the neighborhood about half the other days.

I'm here to tell you that it's not enough. Today I went to the gym and I'd lost a lot. It took me more than 10 minutes to warm up on the treadmill at a slower pace than usual. I hung in there for 25 minutes but it was tough. I spent another 15 minutes lifting weights but none of the time did I feel strong or fit. I just wanted to go home and take a nap. Add to that the 10 pounds I put on over the last three weeks eating whatever my heart desired and I'm not so happy with myself. Time to make a shift.

No comments: