Sunday, June 22, 2014

Poem from my life

The tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth

Half of my remaining wisdom
Departed yesterday
Thanks to drugs and technology
I didn’t feel it go
Just gave my consent
Popped two pills
Breathed deeply of the gas
And did I as I was asked
“Open wide…open wide again…bite down.”
I came home befuddled
Not surprising
When wisdom goes
Took hours to sleep off my decision
Quiet days to follow
As the gap narrows, the hole fills
It’s been pretty painless
Letting go of what no longer serves me

Wish it were always that easy. 

1 comment:

Phil Freyder said...

Your wisdom tooth extraction produced a more amusing and edifying response than mine. After losing a couple of those unnecessary molars, I dropped some Darvon, clamped down on tea bags soaked in cold water, and suffered for a few hours.