Saturday, July 5, 2014

The ongoing declutter project

Early in June, I started a decluttering project, 30 items in 30 days. I did 20 items that first day and 10 items about a week later. Good for me. Of course. But I also knew that I was doing a candy ass job. I wasn't making any hard choices and I was hanging on to way too much stuff. So now I'm going room to room and looking at everything in the room, emptying drawers and cupboards. Taking a kind of inventory of what I have and what I need and what I want.

I started in the bathroom because that felt pretty benign. Not too much in there I'm attached to. Then over the weekend I moved to the bedroom and I got a bit more radical. I had agreed with myself to get rid of 12 pieces of unworn clothing. Having a set number to reduce by is really helpful for me. I can always get rid of more than that but I want to reach that goal. And I did. Then I made another decision.

I took everything out of my closet. I put back only those clothes that fit and that I enjoy wearing. The great too-smalls got folded up and put in a trunk. The rest went in a bag to give away. My closet has about half the clothes in it, it did before. I no longer have to look at the size of something to see if I can wear it. If it's there, it fits. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before.

No comments: