Sunday, August 24, 2014

A difficult writing project

For the last six weeks, I've been drafting sections of my new book on sugar addiction. As many of you know, I write most mornings on whatever my current project is. Those writing sessions give me a very meaningful start to the day, as writing is a very meaningful activity for me, and when I'm writing fiction, it's a lot of fun.

Writing about my relationship with sugar is very meaningful and not so much fun. In July when I was on retreat, I wrote about 65 questions that I could answer as material for this book. I'm slowly working my way through those questions, but there aren't any glib or clever answers. If this book is going to do for me what I want it to--strengthen my resolve to get sugar-free again and stay that way--I have to look at all the hard stuff that I've been eating over and around rather than sitting with. I have to be rigorously honest and that's hard work.


No comments: