Sunday, August 3, 2014

Coming to appreciate my inner selves

In my inner child work with Denny Gregg last weekend, I grew in knowledge and appreciation for the inner selves that make up my personality: the infant with her unmet needs, the fearful 9-year-old who had a prolonged traumatic experience, the angry 14-year-old nobody wanted to listen to, and the young 20-something full of shame at the survival choices she made.

I have known intellectually of these selves for a long time. I've done a lot of talk therapy and I know the places in my past that were pivotal and problematic. I even really understood their impact. But I didn't feel them in any compassionate way. I just wanted them to heal up and move on, to get out of my way.

That's not how it works, not for me anyway. Now I have a real felt sense of them and a visualization of them and as a result, they are showing up in my thinking and feelings, asking for consideration, and I'm doing my best to give it to them.

No comments: