Saturday, August 16, 2014

Struggling with enforced leisure

One of my goals in the money program is to work less. Should be a no-brainer, right? Not so for this workaholic. I'm often most comfortable working. I do enjoy my work but I also am uneasy trying to relax. And I'm committed to changing that.

So I've promised my coach and my support group that I will not work more than 100 hours (billable) per month. Usually I just do whatever work comes my way no matter how much it is and I'm fortunate financially that that's often quite a lot. But it can get me into serious momentum around working where that's all I'm really doing (remember my confession of effort, effort, effort, effort, effort, exhaustion, rest from a recent post?).

Due to some assignments and their timing, this month started on July 29 and I reached 90 hours completed on August 13. Yes, I've been working a whole lot. So now half of the month stretches ahead and I can only work 10 more hours for pay. That's an odd and interesting quandary for me. And I have to admit I'm a little freaked out with all this leisure coming up.

Friday I spent part of the day reading and part of it working leisurely on an inventory of my art work, an ongoing project. Today I did collage with a good friend, had lunch with her, took a nap, read a while, and then started putting together my art newsletter. I had a lot of fun. Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Susan Curington said...

Wow! Good for you! Please continue this trend and be a pioneer for the rest of us and people like me!