Monday, September 29, 2014

Staying aligned with your intention

Blogger Quinn McDonald wrote recently of her practice of choosing a word to consider during the year. To keep herself engaged with that word and its ideas, she sits down and writes the word into her daily calendar on every few pages. When I read this, I had one of those "wow, why didn't I think of that" moments.

Each year I choose an intention to live by and I'm pretty good about staying aligned with it for a few months. First, because it's new and kind of exciting. Second, because I talk about it a lot with friends in those early months. But then time moves on and I'm not in that same excited space and other ideas and commitments intervene.

So I love the idea of writing this into my calendar every couple of weeks to check in with myself.

If you’re not really what you stand for, then the things that matter the most are always going to be at the mercy of the things that matter the least.

- Cheri Maples, "She's Got the Beat"

No comments: