Thursday, October 23, 2014

A lovely irony

This week I'm on the East Coast, Virginia and North Carolina, to be exact. I'm leading a retreat in Nags Head on the Outer Banks of NC for AA and Alanon women. I'll be giving four presentations on one of the topics dearest to my heart: creativity for everyone. I'll get a chance to encourage other recovering women to develop some kind of creative outlet, as mine have brought me great joy and I believe they have strengthened my sobriety.

Here's the lovely irony. In the spring of 1990, at barely six months sober, my sponsor at the time dragged me kicking and screaming to a beach retreat for AA and Alanon women. I was still a confirmed intellectual cynic and I hated every minute of it. It was corny, it was stupid, it was sentimental. You've probably already guessed that I am leading this same retreat 24-1/2 years later. (The retreat has been going for 40 years.) It's in the same place at the same hotel (hopefully upgraded).

This will be a perfect opening story.

No comments: