Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Great food--It's all relative

I just came back from teaching a 3-day workshop in North Carolina. We stayed at a Ramada Inn on the beach near Nags Head on the Outer Banks. All through the retreat, the women raved about the food. And it was good, in its way. Lots of choices at each meal: bacon, eggs, sausage, muffins, grits, potatoes, juice for breakfast. Cream soups, chicken salad, tuna salad, bread for lunch. Pork, beef, fish, chicken, mashed potatoes, pasta with cream sauce for dinner. Everything cooked in butter. Three desserts at each meal including sugar-free jello with cool whip.

This is so far from how I eat these days. Me with a vegetable juice smoothie and oatmeal, big salads and veggies soups, little dairy, little wheat, little meat. Of course, I can go with the flow when needed. We did have a big bowl of naked romaine lettuce at one meal and I put it on everything on my plate, and one night there was buttered zucchini and I ate a lot of that. But it was interesting to me that no one else seemed to miss vegetables or find the shades of brown that filled the plate unusual. Different palates, different cultures. All relative.

Monday, I got home at noon. Dropped off my suitcase, went to the local organic grocery, got kale/cucumbers/apple/romaine/carrots/spinach. Made juice. Mainlined it. Ah!

2 comments:

Martha Ann said...

I loved the conference with you! I did an art journal page about it. I agree about the food... I was very grateful that there were some gluten free foods, but I have some other food limitations and breakfast there was nothing I could eat. Wouldn't it be cool if there were green juices there!

Susan REES said...

I totally noticed the food. Gonna have to work on that! Wish we lived closer. Sending love and light your way! Be well.