Saturday, December 27, 2014

A new poem by Kim Stafford

On the Solstice, my good friend Sue took me to hear the Aurora Chorus in their holiday concert. Poet and writer Kim Stafford was the guest artist and the conductor had put this poem to music. I love it.

Friend: Download This Free Proclamation for Local Use

Whereas the world is a house on fire;
Whereas the nations are filled with shouting;
Whereas hope seems small, sometimes
   a single bird on a wire
   left by migration behind.
Whereas kindness is seldom in the news
   and peace an abstraction
   while war is real;
Whereas my words are all I have;
Whereas my life is short;
Whereas I am afraid;
Whereas I am free--despite all
   fire and anger and fear:
Be it therefore resolved a song
   shall be my calling--a song
   not yet made shall be my vocation
   and peaceful words the work
   of my remaining days.

No comments: