Thursday, December 11, 2014

Managing our wants

At the end of the Money Program in October, we had a final webinar of last words and suggestions and one of them has really stuck with me. In order to have a real handle on our money, on our time, on our lives, we have to learn to manage our wants instead of having our wants manage us.

Those of us who suffer from substance addictions know full well what it's like to be managed by our wants. Alcohol and drugs managed us. Sex and relationships managed us. Food manages us. All because our wants were/are in charge: our want to be soothed, to be numb, to be loved and cared for.

I've been watching this in myself lately. My wants seem to be in charge at the grocery store and on amazon, and while my wants aren't quite living beyond my means, they sure could be. Another great reason to pay attention. 


No comments: