Monday, February 9, 2015

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2

Two years ago this month, I watched Joe Cross's Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead documentary about his recovery from an autoimmune disease by shifting to a heavily plant-based diet, mainly through juicing raw foods. Joe's inspiration got me juicing, something I've continued nearly daily for these two years. No matter what else I'm eating, be it healthy or not, I have a glass of green juice (kale, celery, cucumber, romaine, parsley, carrot) with fresh fruit, usually a banana, berries, and a handful of raw spinach. It's one of the best things I do for myself. 

Joe has a sequel out. He follows up on his own status six years later (still off all meds and healthy, although he has gained back about 30 of the 110 pounds he lost). He was candid about the weight gain and how easy it is to go back to eating less healthy foods. He also follows up on Phil, the trucker who lost 200 pounds and then gained it all back through loneliness and sadness.

What's great about Joe is there's no blaming, no shaming, just a good look at the kind of support we need to stay on track and get back on track. He spends more time in this second film with medical ideas (Dean Ornish gets interviewed) and the health benefits of plant-based eating. I found the film equally inspiring and entertaining this time.

No comments: