Saturday, February 21, 2015

On being an exception

In the research I'm doing for the book on sugar and food addiction, I'm finding that all recovery programs have about the same statistics: 10% of people who enter a program stick with it for the long while, whether it's AA, NA, OA, Weight Watchers, smoking cessation, Jenny Craig, you name it.
That means that those people, the 10% who succeed in long-term recovery, are the exception, not the rule.

This week, I've been sitting with what would make me an exception around sugar and food recovery. While I have a fairly long list of ideas, one thing really stands out, the difference between my successful (so far) recovery from alcoholism and my not so successful recovery from food addiction: the AA idea of going to any lengths.Nearly every AA meetings starts with a reading from the Big Book and one of the sentences says this: "If you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps."

I've been willing all these years to go to any lengths not to drink again. But I haven't been willing to go to any lengths to stay free of food and sugar addiction. I've got some pondering to do.

No comments: