Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Stepping into ritual

In these five days of hosting the angels, I have stepped more fully into ritual than I have in a while. I created a special altar with white carnations, a lovely two-wick white candle, the requisite apple (organic Fuji--my favorite), and my wishes sealed in a gold envelope. I have lit the candles each morning on arising, in the later afternoon when I take a quiet break, and then in the evening for a kind of vespers.

I got reintroduced to sacred ritual about 15 years ago and I hadn't realized how much I'd missed it. It was the one part of going to church that I liked as a child. And I've taken these five days to step up into ritual more fully. I've taken on this time with the angels as a sort of non-retreat retreat. I've done all my usual things: gym, editing work, cat care, errands, even Netflix, but I've shifted the content of some of these routines to honor this time.

In the evenings I've been watching documentaries on Buddhism that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. I set aside the thriller I was reading for entertainment in favor of Gawande's amazing book Being Mortal. And in the afternoons, I've gone into the living room and conversed with the angels about what I love and what I fear.

I have felt blessed in this week. 

No comments: