Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A follow-up on KonMarie tidying up

Some of you know I've been using Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, in which she encourages us to go through everything we love from the perspective of joy. Does this item spark joy? Because 1/2  to 2/3 of what we have doesn't, we get rid of it and end up with a much more spacious home with plenty of room for everything to get stored.

I have 16 shelves for books, 5 of them are now free for something else. I had a jammed closet and dresser and trunk of clothing. They're now about 1/2 full. I had a two drawer filing cabinet of papers. Only one drawer has papers now and it's half-full. I got rid of 2 big bags of clothing, 9 bags of books, and so far 9 books of miscellaneous whatever. When I repapered my bathroom and kitchen shelves and drawers in February, I sorted things out but not from joy and I now I'm going back through them with a the joy litmus test.

Of course, there's the basement storage unit and the studio left to do, but my place feels amazing and since everything has a spacious space to live in, it's so easy to put things away. Her book is also a lot of fun.

No comments: