Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Becoming a big tipper

In this second year of the money course, I've been thinking a lot about generosity and donating money. I find the donation decision so complicated: which charity is truly worthy, which ones pay their CEOs big money and should they do that, which ones are a scam or have so much overhead that little trickles down to the recipients of the services. I used to give all my charitable donations to the local food bank but its reputation for good management has dwindled. I want to save every old tree, every polar bear, every old dog living in a cage or on a chain. And I know I can't.

So for lack of a wiser decision, I've decided to become a big tipper. Whatever the bill and its percentage, I round up to $5 or $10 or $15. I'm well paid for what I do. I know that service people aren't and that tips are shared in most restaurants with bus boys and dishwashers, all that staff. It won't save a polar bear but it seems right for me to do.

No comments: