Friday, May 29, 2015

Talking to the young about the future

Lately I've been on a roller coaster of emotions: gratitude and joy for the beauty of the world, despair and grief for its imminent destruction. The moribund ocean, the dying sea lion pups and dolphins, 15 years left for the elephants at the rate we're going. And how many years left for us?

Half-jokingly my family and friends talk say more and more frequently, "Maybe we'll be gone by the time it all falls apart." But my nephews won't. They are 23 and 25, just getting started as the end lumbers into sight. Both adopted at birth into my white middle-class educated famiy, they have had a lot of cushion already. Will that hurt them or help them when it all changes?

In my mind, I've been writing a letter to them of unsolicited advice, thoughts on survival of the most flexible. It seems like time to write it down and send it.

Who do you need to send such a letter to? 


No comments: