Saturday, June 27, 2015

Another impact of tidying up

A number of years ago, I learned the term drainers from author Cheryl Richardson for those projects we never get around to. The name comes from the feeling we get when we see those projects. "Ah, yes," we say, "I should do that one of these days" and the energy to do so just drains right out of us.

One of the side effects of the Marie Kondo tidying up process has been having the drainers I still have become more obvious. When you have a lot of clutter in your visual field, it's easy to pass right over the things that need repair or attention. But when that clutter has all been discarded or put away, those drainers are much more evident.

For me, this is a good thing. I want to free up the energy that's stuck in those messy computer cords, the bags of stuff to go in the car to Goodwill, that  purse that needs repairing. I'd like to be drainer-free one of these days soon. 


No comments: