Thursday, June 25, 2015

This explains a lot-- Part II

Zeldin's comment, which I posted a few days back, has really stuck with me. Freedom is tiring and trying and most people can't sustain it. They fall back into some form of slavery because it is safer and easier. While this may sound counter-intuitive, it makes a lot of sense to me. There are many forms of slavery and in our culture, many of them show up as addiction.

We are enslaved to shopping, to TV, to eating, to drink or drugs--all to avoid the difficulties of being free. We are enslaved to debt, to safe, low-paying jobs, to abusive partners. I find myself struggling with the idea of having no big problem. I've had some of form of active addiction for so long that to imagine life free of that is very, very difficult. I know the answer lies in embracing the challenges of freedom. Something to think about.

No comments: