Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Traveling and the Magic of Having Tidied Up

If you've been reading this blog lately, you know I'm a big fan of Japanese professional tidier Marie Kondo and her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I did her program and it really did revolutionize my home and my relationship to my stuff. Now I want to say a few words about that and its impact on travel for me.

I never quite understood why packing for a trip was a relatively brief activity and unpacking seemed to go on for a day or two. But since I "kondo-ed" my apartment, unpacking has also become a relatively brief activity. I've traveled three times since I did the tidying up and each time, it's been very simple to put everything away.

I think this is true for two reasons. First, everything in my home now has a home of its own. It has its place and I know where that is. Second, I so much like having surfaces clear now that I'm eager to experience that again and so everything goes back where it belongs. A nice side benefit of tidying up.

No comments: