Friday, July 10, 2015

Gratitude for the cool

I don't do heat well. Never have. Even as a child, I would get miserably cranky and uncomfortable in any kind of heat wave. While other kids were frying eggs on the sidewalk, I was lying in the basement on an army cot reading. We've just been through the hottest early summer in 100 years with about 18 days of 90+, which is so unlike our climate of cool, rainy Junes, moderate Julys, and an occasional 4-day heat wave in August. We are all hoping this is not the new normal.

Fortunately for me, I spent 9 of the 18 days on Whidbey Island, north of Seattle, where the combination of moisture and breeze off of Puget Sound, many trees, and very little pavement kept the temperatures in the mid- to upper 70s. Today, in Portland, it is much cooler. We started off with marine clouds from the coast and are slowly warming to low 80s. My place is comfortable and I have energy for projects.

It does help to stay in the moment, be here now, but it is also wonderful to see the forecast ahead is for more moderate temperatures. I am so grateful.

No comments: