Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Intuition showed up and I almost didn't listen

Over the years, I've gotten better at listening to the nudge inside, which shows up mainly as a vague indicator of things to do or not to do. It'll indicate the best choice on a menu for what I claim to be wanting (better health) or suggest I work out a few more minutes at the gym. It even stays my hand occasionally at the grocery store or computer mouse when I'm eager to buy something I don't need.

I listen to these nudges and act on them only a small amount of the time. More often than not, I'm thinking Get away from me. I know what I want as if it were an adversary rather than an advocate.

Last May I met with a new client. I'll call him Chuck. He lived about 30 miles away and wanted to meet me in person, so I agreed to give him an hour of my time to answer questions. He showed up 25 minutes late without texting or returning my text. Told me he'd had to walk the dog. My intuition was saying "disorganized, inconsiderate" but I was saying to him, "That's okay."

Next, he kept me about 90 minutes chatting and asking questions when we agreed on an hour. I kept trying to leave and he had one more question and then one more. Intuition was still whispering "disorganized, inconsiderate" and I was still not listening.

You can guess the rest of the story: he didn't keep me posted on his progress, he asked for more time at the very last minute when I could no longer fill the calendar with another project, he wanted a special discount and a special payment plan other than what we had agreed to, and when I said no, he blamed me for changing our arrangements and threatened to find another editor.

In the end, I encouraged him to do just that. I didn't think much about the money lost. I didn't worry about the days without a project. I just thanked my intuition for its guidance and promised to listen better. 


No comments: