Monday, September 14, 2015

Thoughts for the Future, Part I

I've been thinking a lot about the future. Not mine, but the planet's, and by extension, humanity's. Things aren't looking so good for us. A lot of terribleness is already in motion: the melting ice caps, the droughts, the storms, the fires. Mother Earth may be doing a deep cleansing that we cannot fathom. But I am most intrigued about the ways that we can make a difference, that we can actually do something about this. We may not be able to stop it but we can slow it if we are willing. The question is are we willing?

One of the biggest contributions we make individually to the crisis is air travel and cruise ships. These two choices use huge amounts of resources and pollute heavily. Although I'm not retired, many of my age mates are and they are travelling a lot all over the world. Flight after flight after flight. Cruise after cruise. Because they can afford it. Sadly, the planet cannot afford it. And in essence, what they are doing when they fly or cruise is using up resources that could be saved for future generations, including resources that might make the lives of their own grandchildren and greatgrandchildren more comfortable. I know they don't think about it that way. But it is true. I gave up my own plans for big travel years ago when I became conscious of the carbon footprint issue. I still fly once in a while but not far and not often.

Can we sacrifice our desires to see the world in order to save the world, at least for a bit longer? I don't know. But it's worth talking about.

1 comment:

Mary Ingmire said...

Interesting idea. I've often had the same thought about visiting our national parks and wilderness areas. Just because it's there and beautiful, must everyone be allowed to see it? Along with tourists come trash and t-shirt stores. Then comes development. Soon the vistas are just a shadow of their former selves. On the other hand, travel enriches and expands one's mind. Definitely a tension.