Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Thoughts for the Future, Part II

Did you know that buried in landfills produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas. We can slow that by keeping stuff out of landfills by composting kitchen scraps and garden trimmings, and recycling paper, plastic, metal and glass. We can let store managers and manufacturers know we want products with minimal or recyclable packaging.

Most of the changes we can make are going to be hard. We are used to such convenience, such luxury. It's hard to make simpler choices. And we won't know if our sacrifices will come to anything. Does it really matter if I take long showers? Idle my car for 10 minutes waiting for a train to go by? Run my air conditoner all the time in the summer at whatever temperature I want? Buy fruit from Chile all winter?

But what if there's a chance that 10 or 15 years of those decisions can make a difference for some child or animal yet to be born to have enough food or clean water or breathable air? Is that worth it?

What I'm arguing for is consciousness, real consciousness in all these choices. For myself and for others.
 

No comments: