Tuesday, December 15, 2015

My results from 9 weeks of eating the Bright Line way

Nine weeks ago today, I started a boot camp program from Dr. Susan Peirce Thompson and Bright Line Eating. If you've read my blog for a while, you know this isn't my first weight loss rodeo. When I got sober in 1989, it was a relief to learn that candy and sweets of all sorts were not only condoned in recovery, they were encouraged and so I set off in a great addiction substitution: giving up alcohol and embracing sweets. I didn't know that I was already a sugar addict and processed flour addict.

Bright Line Eating addresses the addict's issues with food because Thompson is herself a recovering alcoholic and drug addict as well as a sugar and flour addict. She speaks with authority because she speaks from experience. This was very appealing to me. And her background in the 12 steps meant we have some of the same language and philosophy.

So here are my results after 63 days:

  1. I have abstained totally from sugar and other sweeteners, both artificial and natural.
  2. I have abstained totally from all flours and processed grains. 
  3. I have not had a single, solitary snack. Instead, I have eaten three meals a day and nothing in-between. 
I have given up sugar several times before but always in the guise of treats. This program removes all sweeteners. I have been gluten-free before but never abstinent from all flours including corn meal and nut flours. Before this program, I can't remember the last day that I was snack-free.

I have lost 35.6 pounds and 21 inches. I have eaten three healthy meals that include a crapton of vegetables. I have weighed and measured my food. I have written down the night before what I am going to eat the next day.

Can I live like this forever? I don't know. Can I do it today? Yes.

1 comment:

Happy said...

Hooray!Good job, both on being sober and on following the bright lines. May you have many more "one days".