Saturday, January 2, 2016

Living in sufficiency Part 2

Both years of the money program, I listed finding a different relationship with food and weight as one of my goals. The first year nothing shifted. And if you'd asked me in September of this year how that was going, I would have been hard-pressed to say anything other than that I had given up trying to have anything happen. Even after I found the Bright Line program AND the initial information was sent to me by a friend in the money program, I didn't connect the dots between my goal in one program and the solution in the second. And it took me even longer to realize that sufficiency was playing out here too.

Addiction is all about scarcity--that there won't be enough of what we are desperate to have. So we stockpile drugs or alcohol or food so there will be enough. We worry, we obsess about keeping enough. We hide it, we don't share it, we isolate and consume it in secret. Recovery asks us to trust that we don't need it anymore (the substance of choice) and that what we do have in exchange is enough.   

In the Bright Line Eating program, we use a nightly checklist of the tools that are available to us to supprt our recovery from food addiction. One of the most important items on the list for me is this one: "I reminded myself to TRUST that my food will be enough, that I will be given everything I need, and that there is always enough time." There is genius in this statement in its grounding in sufficiency. When we are on a weight-loss program, we often feel deprived. That there is not enough to eat. This program works differently. I can trust that I am eating enough to make it to the next meal.  That I am eating and living in sufficiency.

1 comment:

Jen said...

the nightly checklist is a very interesting idea. What is on your checklist?