Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Staying on course with Bright Line Eating

Today is Day 90 of my adventure in Bright Line Eating. I've lost 46 pounds (as of last Monday). This is an astonishing loss for me, a miracle of healthy eating and no snacks, nada, zip, zero. I eat three meals a day about 5 hours apart and then if I get hungry, I wait until the next meal.

Like AA, it's a simple program and like AA, it's not always easy. I have a lot of old food habits that are showing up. Most recently, I noticed that if I go out for errands or the studio or for lunch with a friend, I want to eat when I come back, even if I've just had lunch. Clearly it isn't about hunger but a conditioned response: come home, get a snack. Probably goes all the way back to grade school days.

But I'm also accruing new experiences. I've been to two writing retreats now without snacking. In the not so long ago, I would have been eating candy all day long at these retreats. Now I'm learning to take care of myself in other ways: walking, coloring, playing cards, shifting my writing from one subject to another. It sounds really simple again and sometimes it is. Other times, it's hard, very hard, and I want to just eat something sweet and be done with the need.

Those old needs, those old habits are so well worn in my brain. What keeps me food sober is my knowledge that those old grooves can wither if I stay in the new habits. Here's to the new habits.

5 comments:

Jo Reimer said...

That's an astonishing amount to lose for anyone. I hope to do half as well as you have, Jill. Congratulations for sticking to it. I learned about Bright Line Eating from reading your column and immediately knew that this was my answer because nothing else has worked. I chose not to join BootCamp but to go it alone while reading everything Susan has published about it, and like you, I've found that I can survive on three meals a day. I'm on day 15 and haven't weighed to see what I've lost. It's not easy to plan and prepare meals for myself while cooking for two men, as well. I'm using the FAA Food Plan but it doesn't spell out how to make so many vegetables and meats palatable while avoiding all flour. I don't want to think about food all the time but lots of thought needs to go into meal planning and prep. Could you share a few of your solutions, please?

Singbird62 said...

I would like to know how you are doing with BLE? I've been looking for reviews on this. Looking for updates.
Thank you

Singbird62 said...

I would like to know how you are doing with BLE? I've been looking for reviews on this. Looking for updates.
Thank you

Tina's weight loss journey said...

Hi I just started ble this week. Have a look at my blog.

Suze said...

I joined the Oct 2016 bootcamp. I feel like I won the lottery! 33 pounds down, totally sticking to my bright lines and no sign of ever quitting. This is it for me!! Best money I ever spent.