Saturday, April 2, 2016

Conscious contact

In an AA meeting last week, the topic was the 11th Step: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understand God. As the conversation went around, it centered, as it usually does, on the difficulties of meditation. Who can do it, who can't, who's tried and who's given up trying. I stayed out of that part of the conversation. After decades as an on-again/off-again meditator, I've been meditating daily for about 15 months. It began to work for me when I agreed with myself that all I had to do was sit still for 15 minutes and do nothing else but sit there.

When it came my turn to share, I had begun thinking about something else from the step: the idea of conscious contact. It had not occurred to me until that day, until that meeting, that this phrase I'd been hearing for 26 years was another term for mindfulness, for being present. When I've been active in my addiction, whether alcohol in the distant past or sugar in the more recent past, I've not really been conscious in my contact with Spirit or friends or family or clients or life itself. Being sober from alcohol increased my conscious contact immeasurably but I'm finding that now sober from the numbing effects of sugar, I am even more conscious in my contact. I like this phrase and this idea.

No comments: