Tuesday, June 7, 2016

On not attending the opening of my first gallery exhibit

Last night was the opening of the Pack It Up exhibit at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Hood River, OR. Four of my paintings are on display and for sale but I was home. No, I wasn't sick. No, I didn't have other plans. Instead, an oil train derailed a few miles from Hood River, spilling thousands of gallons of crude oil that caught on fire, and the freeway was closed for about 11 hours. That freeway is the main access route east-west for hundreds of miles and so the traffic came to a grinding halt.

We contemplated going and then realized we needed to stay out of the mess. So I took off my party clothes and watched a movie on TV instead of mingling with art patrons and potential customers. I was disappointed but am hoping there are many more art openings with my work on display in my future.

The fire is apparently out. No word yet on the environmental impact: the serious air pollution, water damage, the humans and critters affected. There's a big movement here to stop such trains from operating. I hope this disaster will serve some greater good.

1 comment:

Jo Reimer said...

First, congratulations on the occasion of your first show. That's a nice gallery.
And then about oil trains. I'm not so opposed to the trains themselves because so much of the problem lies in the maintenance of the tracks. If the tracks were safe the trains would stay on them. We've let our rail infrastructure fall into disrepair so of course trains derail. I heard last night that the cause was a bolt that ties the rail to the tie came lose. Amazing. Why is it that European and Japanese high speed trains provide fast safe service without accidents and we can't? Yikes.