Sunday, July 31, 2016

A provocative thought from Elizabeth Gilbert

I've started reading Gilbert's Big Magic. I've had it on Kindle for a while and wasn't sure why I bought it (did I really need yet another book on creativity?) or why I hadn't started reading it (did I really need more encouragement to be creative?) But I'm liking it and I'm finding it's more about fearless living than anything else.

In the first chapter, she quotes a saying I hadn't heard before: "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them." I had to laugh when I read this. Of course we do. We are usually so full of excuses and justifications for why we can't get what we want, do what we want, have what we want that we are arguing to stay stuck.

I've had conversations with two friends in the past week who are dealing with others who are stuck, who are arguing for their limitations. One is trying hard to keep her mother in independent living but her mother has a list of limitations a mile long that she's arguing to keep. Another is dealing with an obese friend with diabetes who has well-honed excuses for why she can't do a healthy food plan and exercise.

I have much personal experience with this. I lived for decades arguing for all the limitations of my abusive relationship, my unhealthy professional situation, my addictions. I know how hard it is to get unstuck, but clearly a key is letting go of our need for those limitations so we can step into possibility.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I was looking for a blog on BLE, and am so happy I found yours. I am relating to and loving what you've got to say! Thank you! I'm bouncing back and forth from the first day you started your BLE to current posts. They all speak to me. I bought "Big Magic", too, and am not finished with it. That quote came to me first from a Richard Bach book called "Illusions", written in 1977. He worded it a little differently: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." But the sentiment is the same, and it stuck with me all these years.

I have a dilemma. I am very drawn to the BLE program. It makes so much sense. I know I'm addicted. But...I have a Bright Line around this: "Never spend another penny on weight loss. You already know what you need to do."

I especially can't see spending $1000 (ok, $997, to be exact). Can you blog more about why this is different than all the other programs? Is it such a difficult program that you can't possibly do it without spending the money? I would love to email you. Thank you again for sharing your experiences. And congratulations on your success and your commitment to health! Keep going! And keep blogging about it!