Friday, July 22, 2016

My new studio

It has been my habit for the last several years to figure out in the early morning when I could go to the studio. It wasn't far away, about 10 blocks, but it was away and I liked to go for at least an hour or two. I'm still thinking that way, not yet used to the fact that the studio is 15 seconds away although I might have to stop and pet a cat or two en route.

My office has moved to a cozy end of my living room and my second bedroom (formerly the office) is now the studio. I have about a third the space than before but I think it's going to work out fine. My sister Shannon helped me clean and put down the new rug (to protect the hardwoods) and get the basic furniture in place. Then my friends Sue and Pam came over and we had a smudging and blessing ceremony. It was really lovely.

For the next few days, I didn't paint in it. I took my time figuring out where I wanted to put my paints and pastels and brushes, figuring out how I might use the space. I remember doing this when I first moved into my Troy studio. But mostly I realize I was still in transition, still attached to Troy and all its happiness for me. I need a bit more time to make the shift, or maybe I need to just do it slowly.

The last two days I've been painting in the late afternoon in the studio. It isn't my creative home yet, but we'll get there.

No comments: