Thursday, October 20, 2016

One year free of sugar and flour

October 12 marked one year of freedom for me. Freedom from sugar, flour, and snacks. I started the Bright Line Eating program then in earnest and have been abstinent all this time. While I have been abstinent from refined sugars for longer periods than a year, I never gave them all up and I never gave up flour. This has massively changed how and what I eat.

The benefits have been miraculous. I've lost 81 pounds and 56 inches. The only remaining clothes from my old life are two coats I'm having altered and some shoes (even some of my shoes had to go as I no longer need Wide). I have so much more energy and stamina. I regularly walk 2-3 miles without fatigue. And I'm happier. Sugar and processed carbohydrates are depressants. That's why we love them. They relax us. They make us numb to whatever ails us.

I don't miss sugar and flour foods. I have no cravings for them and when I want extra food, I want meat or nuts or fruit. But I miss being numb. I do. I probably always will.

I don't miss the weight or any of the attendant physical misery. And I sure don't miss the guilt and shame and self-loathing. So grateful to BLE and to my friend Carole Warner, who encouraged me to spend the money and do it. So grateful to my own willingness to change for the better.


No comments: