Saturday, March 25, 2017

Doing the footwork towards whatever it is you want

One of the many 12-step sayings that has proved very useful to me is one about effort and outcome. We are encouraged in recovery to do the footwork and leave the results up to the Higher Power. This is good advice as we mostly can't predict or control much of what happens. In the early years of my recovery, I saw this as encouragement to stop being so controlling. Now I tend to see it differently: as encouragment to keep doing the footwork no matter what.

I'm in week 6 of an online intensive art class on design and value and taking our work to the next level. There are lots of interesting principles to learn and apply and lots of challenges. But the teacher, who's great, just keeps saying, Play, Experiment, Make a lot of paintings, Don't figure it out, Just let stuff emerge. This is the footwork principle in action. Just show up and do stuff and let it unfold.

And I'm reminded that in nowhere in the 12 Steps does it say "I figured it all out."

My latest book: Candy Girl: How I gave up sugar and created a sweeter life between meals.
Available at: http://amzn.to/2jST4n3

No comments: