Sunday, March 5, 2017

Doing hand creative work

When I was cleaning out my studio closets recently, I came upon a needlepoint kit that I had I bought in 2007. At that point, I hadn't done needlepoint in 30 years. Now it has been 40. I thought about giving the kit away. I'm a painter now and a writer and if I have time to create, why not those things? But the kit was beautiful, a pillow design based on the paintings of Gustave Klimt, the great turn of the 20th century Viennese painter and so I put it out in its original packaging on a studio shelf where it would be visible and stay clean.

Two weeks later we had a bunch of snow days and after I painted a while and wrote a while and read a lot, I thought about that kit and how gorgeous it was and maybe I could remember how to do needlepoint. In the early 70s, I was quite into crafts (mostly crochet) and I did an ambitious needlepoint project on a 3-panel wooden screen (see below). While the pillow is much, much smaller, it's more intricate and and I knew there were stitching complications. However, thanks to Youtube, I sorted that out and I have had such fun doing this kind of hand work again. I'm glad I hung on to the kit.

PS The screen is looking for a home. 




1 comment:

Mary Celnicker said...

Beautiful screen panels. Perhaps I should take up needlepoint again. I always find it soothing. Just got home last night. Hope to see you soon. xxx Mary